Looking for someone to assist you with skills training, planning a camping trip, or leading an outdoor adventure? Outdoor Champions are a dedicated group of volunteers who want to help you get outside.
Don’t see an Outdoor Champion near you?
Not a problem.
This crew of volunteers is willing to travel!
Request help from an Outdoor Champion today!
What do Outdoor Champions do?
- Offer mini-clinics to train up to 10 adults (upon request) in outdoor skills
- Help troop leaders plan outdoor activities
- Accompany troops to lead camping trips or hikes
- Answer questions about outdoor programming and resources
- Lead outdoor activities for girls
- Attend service unit meetings to share outdoor experiences
- And more!
How do I find an Outdoor Champion?
You can type https://outdoor.gswny.org/portal into any web browser to request help from a Champion! We have Champions all across Council, and many of them are willing to travel!
How can I help?
Anyone with any interest in helping to get girls more access to outdoor adventures can be an Outdoor Champion! No skill level is required. There are 3 levels of participation:
- ADVOCATE: encouraging members to get outdoors and sharing information
- MENTOR: available to lead or buddy with troops/ volunteers for outdoor experiences or train adults
- GUIDE: high-level wilderness skills and instructional ability
WHY DO GIRLS NEED TO GET OUTSIDE?
Why do they need to get outside?
- Memory and attention span increase by 20% after only 1 hour in nature.
- The number of children who play outside has decreased by more than 50% in the last thirty years.
- Roughly 65% of today’s kids play outside less than once per week.
- Girl Scout programs opened the door for 71% of girls to try an outdoor activity for the first time.
- Nearly 50% of Girl Scouts in an outdoor program helped another girl to do an outdoor activity last year.
Monthly exposure, high adventure, and repeat camp attendance are key drivers of girls’ leadership development and satisfaction with their Girl Scout experience.